Luisana is funny. No but wait, that doesn't quite cover it. She's witty, picky and steady. When I say picky I mean she knows what she likes and it better be beautiful and high quality. When I say steady I mean she's a Taurus (Taurus love!) and she doesn't waver. I can appreciate that. When I say witty, I mean intelligent humor like she's not even trying, just read her tweets. And I love her! She makes me laugh, she knows the best places to shop and eat and I love to hear her Luisana opinions because Luisana doesn't put up with BS in any form. I swear even her Pomeranians know this.
She finally agreed to let my lens in her life. She asked me to photograph her for her LA32 Neighborhood Council profile pic. I was pretty excited because I think she's beautiful and I've always wanted to capture it in a photo! Is that weird? Probably but that doesn't freak her out. Technically we met in middle school, late 90s, Huntington Park, but to be honest I can't say we were friends at the time. In fact we rarely talked at all. However we had a couple friends in common so we were on either side of a Venn diagram and eventually we were bound to meet in orbit. It happened but not until after high school and really even then, more so a few years after college. Now, we're homies and two out of five official members of the OG HP FON Girls club - or cult as she likes to call it.
Here are a few things you should know about Luisana. We'll call it the Luisana Valdez Essential Information List:
1) Loves to read. I think she eats books for breakfast to be honest. I lust after her bookshelf like badly.
2) Studied biology in college, solely for the sake of the knowledge (Who does that?? It's so awesome!).
3) Has two Pomeranians - one named Peanut, the other named Butter (fucken cute right?).
4) Knits beautifully - her creativity astounds me. She bestowed a hand knit blanket upon my daughter, love it.
5) Obsessed with succulents - once drove to Anaheim for a succulent convention. She nurtures tons of them in her lovely garden.
So at the end of the day I wish I could have done better on this project. I feel like the headshot is too flat, not Luisana, but the way I photographed it. Also I would have liked to have captured more candids. I think she tends to look serene in her candids like when she was checking out the books. But these will have to do for now, until next time. There will be a next time because I know I wasn't making the most of her loveliness. Oh and essential fact number 6: today is Luisana's birthday! Happy birthday birthday girl!! Wishing you a succulent day :)